Yoga poses help in developing a mindful body and the mind. It also has many physical and mental benefits. From a young child to old age, anyone can do yoga. As long as you keep doing regular yoga, you will continue to get its benefits.
Along with this, it is also a better option for medicines, but if you are on your medicines, then keep taking your dose as directed by your doctor. You can keep yourself healthy by practicing yoga. In this way, Shalabhasana (grasshopper posture) is also a very beneficial yoga asana.
Through this yoga asana we will know what is Shalabhasana, how to do Shalabhasana and what are the health benefits of Shalabhasana, and what is the right way to do Shalabhasana, so let’s start.
What is Shalabhasana (Locust Pose)?
The Shalabhasana (locust pose) is known in the Sanskrit language as Shalabhasana, which is made up of two words, with the first word “Shalabh” meaning “grasshopper” and the second-word Asana meaning “posture”.
This posture is called “Locust pose” in English. Shalabhasana can help relieve spinal, lower back pain and fatigue. This posture also helps you to get strength in your arms, torso, and leg area.
You can see this pose is so simple to practice but it’s not so.
Steps of doing Salabhasana (Locust Pose)
- To do Shalabhasana, lay a yoga mat and lie on your stomach. It should have your back upwards and your belly down.
- Keep both of your legs straight and keep your toes straight and upward.
- Keep pushing your right hand below your right thigh, and same your left hand below the left thigh.
- Keep your head and mouth fixed in one place.
- After this, keep yourself normal and take deep breaths inward.
- Now try to raise your legs slowly, raise the legs to their maximum height as you can.
- If you are new to yoga practice then you can use your hands to raise your feet, for this, you can raise your feet on the ground with both your hands.
- You can stay up to twenty seconds in the same pose.
- After this, while keeping your breath out, slowly lower your legs towards the bottom.
- Then return to your initial position. Rest for 20 seconds before repeating this pose.
- Repeat this exercise 3-4 times.
Benefits of Shalabhasana (Locust Pose):
- Shalabhasan Yoga (Locust Pose) strengthens the nervous system and helps to increase its activity.
- Various types of diseases can be cured by this yoga, it cures the digestive function of our stomach, which does not cause stomach diseases.
- It also strengthens the reproductive system and uterine capacity of women. Leads to the menstrual cycle as well as the normal cycle.
- This yoga increases the flexibility of the body, along it also reduces abdominal fat and makes it beautiful. This is the best yoga for abdominal fat.
- Shalabhasana is a good asana for strengthening body muscles as well as body posture.
- It helps eliminate body fat, as well as corrects metabolism.
- It helps improve urinary disorders and more beneficial to relieve constipation.
- This asana plays an important role in curing sciatica.
- It is good for diabetic patients, which control diabetes.
- This yoga promotes flexibility of the entire back and increases strength.
- This practice also makes the shoulders and arms strong.
- This yoga tones the nerves and muscles especially in the neck and shoulders.
- This yoga posture also helps in reducing stress and depression.
Precautions while practicing Salabhasana Yoga Pose
According to experts, this asana is considered best when practitioners practice it in the morning. Along with digesting food, it also provides the body with the energy to do asanas. Due to some reason, if you are unable to practice it in the morning, then you can practice this asana in the evening. But keep a gap of at least 3-5 hours between your exercise and food. Some precautions are as follows-
- If you do Shalbhasana yoga pose after getting fresh, it’s more comfortable to practice.
- While doing this asana, you should not breathe through your mouth, only breathe through the nose.
- If you have had abdominal surgery, in this case, avoid doing this asana.
- Apart from this, avoid doing this asana during pregnancy time as well.
- Do not overdo exercise if you do not feel comfortable in your body.
- Do not practice this yoga in case of low and high blood pressure.
- Avoid this asana even when suffering from knee, hip, or spinal issues.
- You should always consult a doctor and do yoga under the supervision of a properly trained teacher before beginning asana and pranayama.
Hope after knowing all these benefits, you will never have to say what is Shalabhasana Yoga Pose, and what are the benefits and steps of doing Shalabhasan (Locust Pose).