What Qualifies for a Camp Lejeune Lawsuit

Veterans, their family members, and civilian workers who resided at Camp Lejeune were exposed to toxic drinking and bathing water between 1953 and 1987. The marines, their family members and other civilian workers did not know about the contamination for years. However, in 1982, it was discovered that the water on the base contained volatile organic compounds (VOCs). The dangerous wells were later shut down by the authorities.

Who was responsible for the contamination?

The main source of contamination was a dry-cleaning business that was near the base. The dry-cleaning business had been disposing wastewater into the water systems for many years. Their wastewater contained different types of chemicals that were used for dry-cleaning. Due to this gross negligence, many people suffered after ingesting these chemicals for some time.

Health conditions caused by the water contamination

Veterans, their family members, and other people who resided on the base developed several types of medical conditions. Strong evidence indicates that many of these health conditions developed because of the toxic water exposure. These health conditions include female infertility, cancer, Parkinson’s disease, multiple myeloma, and adult leukemia.

Do I qualify to file a Camp Lejeune lawsuit?

If you are a veteran who resided at the camp between August 1953 and December 1987 and you developed a serious health condition due to the water exposure, then you may be eligible to file a Camp Lejeune lawsuit. Even if you have paid your medical bills, you may be compensated. It’s best to reach out to an experienced attorney who is very knowledgeable in these cases to get the justice you deserve.

Can a family member sue if he/she lived on the base?

If you are a family member of a veteran or marine personnel and you can prove that you lived on the base around the same period, then you may be allowed to file a lawsuit. In addition, if you were a military staff member or a civilian staff member who worked or resided on the base around the same period, then you can also sue and seek compensation for your losses.

What compensation can I receive?

You can seek financial compensation for your current or future health expenses. In addition, if your illnesses prevented you from working, you could also seek compensation for the wages you lost. Furthermore, if you are experiencing pain, you can sue for the pain and suffering that your condition brings you.

Should I hire a lawyer?

You should retain a lawyer because the legal professional will increase your chances of getting the desired outcome. Since the water contamination happened years ago, a lot of medical and scientific evidence is required to prove you were affected by the contamination. An attorney can help you gather the best and strongest evidence for your case. In addition, the legal professional can protect you against the federal agencies that you are suing who have resources which they can use against you.


If you served for at least thirty days on the base between August 1953 and December 1987, and you have a health condition linked to the exposure of toxic substances at the base, then you may be eligible to sue and get monetary compensation. In addition, you may be eligible for VA disability benefits. It’s your right to get the financial compensation you deserve for this negligence.

Leave a Comment